What programs are offered?
Rebuilding Beaumont Together: a partnership between Habitat and the City of Beaumont to offer minor repairs for owner‐occupied homes. Applicants must earn no more than 80% of the area median income and maintain the home within the Beaumont city limits as their primary residence. Priority is given to seniors and the disabled. There is no repayment or sweat equity required. Download the application here. .
Homebuyer program: We are not currently accepting applications for the Homebuyer program. Watch our Facebook page for the next open application period. Families who need a helping hand purchasing an affordable home can help renovate or build and pay a small monthly mortgage.
Here are the basics:
1. Need: families must need help accessing decent affordable housing and make 80% or less of the area median income.
2. Willingness to partner: families must be willing to help renovate or build their homes alongside staff and volunteers.
3. Ability to pay: families must be able to pay an affordable, zero‐interest mortgage along with taxes and insurance. Although we do not have a minimum score requirement, credit is also a factor. Each report is evaluated on collection activity (exclusive of medical bills) in the last 24 months and patterns of conduct.
1. What if I own a home?
This program is geared toward first‐time buyers, so you must not have owned a home in the previous three years. The exception is if your home was destroyed by Hurricane Harvey. On a case by case basis, we will consider demolishing and rebuilding on your lot or one of ours.
2. Did I have to lose my housing to Hurricane Harvey?
The short answer is no. The criteria is that a family demonstrates need. However, although it is not a requirement, a family who was displaced by the storm will have a more compelling need which will aid them in the already competitive process.
3. Will you build on my land?
We may, especially in Port Arthur or Orange where we do not have a lot of vacant property. That is considered on a case by case basis.
4. Are the houses new?
No, not all of our homes are new as some are rehabilitated. We can house more families faster by converting existing properties into affordable units.
5. Where do you work?
We work in Beaumont, Port Arthur, and the City of Orange.
How to Apply
1. Print out the application for the program best suited to you. If you cannot print the application, call the office at (409) 832-5853. Rebuilding Beaumont Together apps can be mailed out and there is special assistance for seniors and applicants with a disability who cannot get into the office. The homebuyer application is only available when the application period is open. If special assistance is needed to complete the forms, staff can help.
2. Complete the application and return it to 610 Trinity St, Beaumont, TX 77701 along with ALL of the required documentation. If you cannot get all your information gathered within the allotted time, call the office BEFORE the application deadline. Extensions are available. Rebuilding Beaumont Together applications can be re‐opened, homebuyer applications past the due date will not be re‐opened.
3. In order for your application to be processed as quickly as possible, promptly respond to requests by staff if asked for further information or documentation. If you have questions, please call our office at (409) 832-5853. We cannot tell you without a completed application if you qualify, but we are more than happy to answer questions about the programs and process.